Monday, June 22, 2009

Mean Girl

After reluctantly leaving early from the very interesting Board of Trustees meeting to petition for my English 102 class, I was put on blast by the professor and shunned from my class. He said he would email me "in a couple" days about whether I could add his class. Great, so I left a vital meeting early to be turned away from a class that is crucial to my major. Turns out, I was actually enrolled in the class; as I was walking down the hall, he had a student call me back and apologize on his behalf. How noble.

Towards the end of class he told us to write about a song, movie, or poem that we view as valuable literature. "...anything is fine, except for something like Britney Spears' 'Oops, I Did it Again'. Just pick something meaningful, write about a page about it, and after that you may leave."

I opted to challange myself and write about a song that I have recently connected with. I find this song very easy to relate to because it is about a girl that always puts herself in a rut by leading men on. Since I live a life in which a platonic relationship with a straight male is nearly impossible, this song holds a lot of meaning to me.

After writing a kickass paper, I tore it out of my notebook, walked up to the front of the class and shoved it in the tool's face. I walked away laughing.

The title of my paper was: "Literary Judgement: 'Oops, I Did it Again' by Britney Spears"